Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

UDI Inspiration Challenge - Calling My Name....

Once a week, I open my e-mail to find an inspiration photo for the UDI Blog Inspiration Challenge. We get a large group of pictures at one time to cover several months worth of challenges, but I don't look ahead from week to week. I like to open the photo at the time I've set aside to create the project because it is all that is in my mind and allows me to really think about what it's inspiring me to make.
Well, this week when I opened the photo file, I was immediately transported in my mind to one of my very favorite spots on this planet - Serenity Bay on Castaway Cay. This is the private island maintained by the Disney Cruise Line and the Serenity Bay beach is simply put - amazing in it's beauty. I've been fortunate enough to have visited there 3 times over past 8 years and honestly, I'd leave tomorrow if Mark told me to pack my bags. I'm having a hard time even writing this because I can so smell the ocean and feel that soft breeze and the sand between my toes. Aaaahh.......... can't you feel it too?

So, here is the photo that took me on my mini-vacation in my mind today:

I KNOW, don't you just want to be there too?!!
Well, maybe my interpretation will help:

I took my inspiration from the colors in the photo and meshed it with my memories of our wonderful family cruises.
Whisper White, Crumb Cake, Bashful Blue and Marina Mist all combined to make this card light and refreshing. I used the Sentimental Journey stamp set from the Summer Mini for my focal image. It's stamped with Whisper White Craft Ink and heat embossed with White Embossing Powder on Marina Mist Cardstock. Even the name of the stamp set was serendipity for making this card!

The compass image is stamped with Marina Mist ink (stamped off once) onto Bashful Blue Patterns Designer Series Paper. I also added it on the inside of the card as an accent.

I added the greeting from the In a Word stamp set, also in the Summer Mini. First, I inked it with the ink pad, then stamped off once. I then used the Stampin' Write Marker to color in the "me" part of the image to give it a duo-tone effect.

My focal image was matted on two layers of cardstock and then popped up on Stampin' Dimensionals over a piece of Marina Mist 5/8" Grosgrain Ribbon.

As a final accent, I added a silver clip to the top left corner, tying it with a piece of Marina Mist 1/8" Taffeta Ribbon and a piece of Hemp Twine.
I was delighted with how my vision turned out on this card and I'm considering using it as the cover piece for one of our cruise scrapbooks. This color combo would be great to use throughout the book as well, keeping it simple so the photos really stand out. When I get that book done, I'll be sure to post some of the pages here for you all to see.

For now, be sure to visit the UDI Blog and take a look at what the other design team members created - I know you'll love their projects too!

The two stamp sets I used today are going to be retiring next Tuesday - they are in the Summer Mini and did not carry over to the new catalog. So, if you want to add them to your stamping toolbox, be sure to visit my Stampin' Up! website where you can place an order 24/7 from my online store. Let me know if you have any questions on how to order from there, I'm happy to help you! And remember, every order from my website this month gets you a handstamped Thank You card from me!

Have a wonderful day and happy sailing!
~~Robin

7 comments:

  1. Great card, Robin! I love it! Plus, I'm so jealous that you've been on a Disney Cruise! ;)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's beautiful. i immediately thought scrap page before i even read that it was in your thougt process too. love it!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card, having been on a few cruises I can totally relate! This would be an awesome scrapbook album cover and carrying the color scheme all throughout is an excellent idea. Make's me want to take out some photos and scrapbook as well! Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!!!!! That is just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh friend! As always - you make me smile. Love it x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love how your card turned out from the inspiration photo. I especially like how you did the 2 tone sentiment. Great idea for stamping off and then highlighting with a marker. TFS!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments! Please share your thoughts with me!