Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Sweet Memory

I have an Olympic hangover.
Seriously, I am LOVING all the coverage of the games. The inspiring moments and stories and all the amazing feats of these athletes just get me every time. But honestly, this going to bed close to midnight stuff is for the birds. Young birds!
Sadly, I am realizing that age 48 isn't youthful when it comes to sleep deprivation. LOL!

Yesterday was Mark's birthday and he took off work for the day. One of the things he wanted to do was sleep in. Now, sleeping in for us usually means 7 or 7:30, but yesterday we slept until 9:20!!
Talk about a late start - wow!

Well, that didn't deter me from making homemade lasagna for dinner - Mark's favorite! And Emma made him a double chocolate layer cake - the first she's ever done completely on her own from mixing to icing. It was wonderful and completely made Mark's day. :)
All this time in the kitchen made me remember the times I spent making cookies with my Grandma.
I participated in a Christmas Cookie 6" x 6" page swap at Convention this year and I knew right away that I wanted to share my Great-Grandma's Sugar Cookie recipe.

Here's the beginning of my page done with My Digital Studio (MDS):
(If you click on the photo, you can view the recipe - it's super yummy! Trust me!)
I created it using a pre-designed blank template in the MDS program and added my own photos and elements. Once I had the basic design, I printed it out on Whisper White Cardstock and cut it down to 5" x 5".
Then, I was able to finish designing my page:


The base color is Garden Green and I layered a mat of Riding Hood Red under the printed MDS page.
I used the gorgeous Christmas Tree image from the Christmas Lodge stamp set (#123769 $25.95 clear) in the background, stamped in Garden Green ink.
Isn't this just a beautiful stamp set??
I added a few finishing touches to the final page.
Some pierced corners at the top left and bottom right, two tiny button brads from the Vintage Trinkets, some Riding Hood Red Taffeta Ribbon, a Garden Green button and Linen Thread.

I love how this page turned out. It totally brought me back to my Grandma's kitchen working on cutting and decorating those delicious sugary treats. If you take a close look at the top photo on the MDS page, you can see the red holly leaf cookie cutter in my hand. It's a treasure to me because it's the same cookie cutter I used in my Grandma's kitchen 40 years ago.


We all have some sweet memories, treasures of our hearts that not only take us back, but tie us to the future as we pass them on.
I know my Grandma would have been so proud of Emma yesterday, baking her cake. That would have been a sweet memory for her and I know it will be for me and Mark.

Have a wonderful day today! Go stamp a memory....
~~Robin

2 comments:

  1. Great page, Robin. And great inspiration too. I've been meaning to get my "family" recipes into something as a collection. I love this page for that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulation! Your project has been chosen for the Blog Finds of the Day on August 9. If you would like to see other projects chosen for blog finds, please visit http://blogfindsoftheday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments! Please share your thoughts with me!